In honor of National breastfeeding awareness month (and because we like cookies), the staff at HATCH decided to scour the internet for the best recipes for lactation cookies. What the heck are lactation cookies you might ask? Lactation cookies are made with brewers yeast, wheat germ, flaxseed meal and whole oats that can help nursing mothers maintain and boost their milk supply…plus they are so yummy your partner will be begging you to make them long after your baby has moved to the bottle! While we would never guarantee lactation cookies will work to increase or boost milk supply for all women, there have been studies showing that they can help. Consulting a nutritionist to walk you through your pre and post pregnancy nutrition is always recommended but in the meantime..have a lactation cookie! After much deliberation and many taste tests, we decided that our favorite recipe goes to allrecipes.com. These moist yet chewy, easy to make cookies only take about 25 minutes to whip up and taste so good you will have to hide them from other sticky fingers in the house! Enjoy 🙂
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brewers’ yeast
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix flaxseed with water in small bowl and let soak for 5 minutes.
- Beat butter, white sugar, and brown sugar together in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Add egg yolks and vanilla extract; beat to incorporate. Stir flaxseed mixture into the butter mixture.
- Mix flour, brewer’s yeast, wheat germ, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar in a separate bowl; add to butter mixture and stir until just combined. Fold oats and chocolate chips into the dough.
- Roll dough into walnut-sized balls and place 2 inches apart onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the edges are golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.